The Bruce Ski Club and its partners offer many opportunities for children and adults to learn to cross-country ski.
Learning to ski is not as difficult as you might imagine. With the right equipment, proper clothing and a little instruction, you can be skiing the trails in no time.
The Bruce Ski Club has no shortage of cross-country ski trails at all of its locations that are ideal for beginner and novice skiers.
Events for new skiers
- Jackrabbit cross-country ski program for children: A great way for children to learn ski technique, build lifelong friendships and have fun.
- Awesome Adult Afternoon Ski Lesson – This Georgian Bay Nordic fundraiser will help you learn to cross-country ski in just a few hours. Equipment is available for those who need it.
- Cross-Country Ski Swap – If you are in need of used ski equipment, the Ski Swap is a great place to find it. Held at Suntrail Source for Adventure in Hepworth, Ontario.
- Ski Too Far: When you are ready to go the extra mile (or kilometer), this event will give you a chance to test your cross-country skiing endurance — just keep skiing, that’s all there is to it.
Adult ski lessons
For those of you who would like to improve your skiing technique, here is your chance. The list below includes some of our most experienced instructors and coaches. Don’t be shy. They are happy to help you ski more efficiently. Just call or email.
- Heidi Tones – is the mother of National Ski Team member, Julian Smith, and she is willing to help you improve your skiing if you donate to Julian’s travel fund. You can reach Heidi at: 519-534-3222 or email@example.com.
- Marlyn Suke – is the Coaching Coordinator for Georgian Bay Nordic Ski Team and Marlyn will give you a lesson if you make a contribution to GBN. You can set up a lesson with Marlyn at 519-374-4227 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Dr. Don Eby – he would be happy to provide free advice and or mentoring to anyone interested in pursuing a passion for long-course loppets. He has completed the Canadian Ski Marathon four times, the long course Gatineau loppet about 12 times and last year was recognized as a ‘master’ (completing 10 long course loppets in 10 different countries) by the World Loppet association. 519 371-2720 (H) or 519 373-2535 (C) or email@example.com.
- Barbara Gray – Qualifications: Level 2 NCCP, Level 2 Officials course, St Mary’s Nordic ski team coach x 5 yrs, and Jackrabbit coordinator and instructor ( many yrs). I’m not interested in compensation as I just like spreading the fun of Nordic skiing. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Ani Eby – Qualifications: Level 1. I would be good with older beginners (preferably classic). We would start with “how to pick ourselves up after GENTLY lowering ourselves down”…a far cry from my enthusiastic and dramatic “fall -then-roll-on- back-to-dead-bug-on-back” lesson:) Email: email@example.com.
- Dawn Williams – Qualifications: Cansi Level 1, Level 2 NCCP , Coached GBN and Saugeen District Secondary School team, competed at the masters level for 15 years provincially, nationally and internationally. Any contributions to supporting youth in the sport: Jackrabbits, GBN, Julian Smith. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Ski equipment rentals
Waxing your skis
Not sure how to wax your skis? Check out these helpful online instructions: