The Jackrabbit cross-country skiing program is a great way for children to learn ski technique, build lifelong friendships and have fun.
The Jackrabbit season starts on the first Saturday in January every year. Children, parents and coaches ski each Saturday at the Sawmill Nordic Centre in Hepworth, Ontario.
We accept children ranging in age from four to thirteen years. The number of children we can accept into the program depends upon the number of volunteer Jackrabbit leaders we can recruit.
All registrations are to be done on the Zone4 website. In addition to registering in Jackrabbits, you must have complete the Bruce Ski Club membership application for your child or family.
To find out more about the Bruce Ski Club Jackrabbits program, send us a message using the contact form below.
Benefits of Cross-Country Skiing for Children
Cross-country skiing requires balance, coordination, fitness and enthusiasm.
The goal of the Jackrabbit program is to help children have a safe and fun outdoor experience while learning to cross-country ski.
The program information and skills taught by the leaders and assistants are supported by the Jackrabbit Program of Cross-Country Canada.
All children progress at different rates. As a skier moves up the levels, he or she may require more time to master the skills required for the higher levels, i.e. spending two seasons in level 3 or 4.
Volunteer for Jackrabbits
The Jackrabbit program is run entirely by volunteers. Our program has thrived because of the enthusiasm of our everyone who helps out.
Most of our leaders are parents of Jackrabbit skiers. Also, we are always looking for Bruce Ski Club members to volunteer with the program.
Parents often start as assistants. While some cross-country skiing ability is an asset, a majority of our skiers are between the ages of 5 and 9. So you don’t have to be an Olympic skier to volunteer as a leader.
To help you prepare for the upcoming Jackrabbit season, we offer a coaching course each year.
Parents who are interested in improving their own cross-country skiing abilities should check out the learn-to-ski events offered by the Bruce Ski Club.
Bruce Ski Club Jackrabbits
COVID-19 Protocols 2021-2
To attend programming:
- All Bruce Ski Club Jackrabbit coaches will need to be fully vaccinated (received your second dose plus 14 days) prior to the start of the ski season. Coaches will need to demonstrate proof of vaccination prior to the start of Jackrabbit lessons.
- All participants and coach assistants 12 years of age and older (as of December 31, 2021) will need to be fully vaccinated (received your second dose plus 14 days) prior to the start of the ski season. Proof of vaccination will need to be demonstrated prior to the start of Jackrabbit lessons.
- All Bunny parents skiing with a group and other parents skiing with a group will need to be fully vaccinated (received your second does plus 14 days) prior to the start of the ski season. Parents will need to demonstrate proof of vaccination prior to the start of Jackrabbit lessons.
- All coaches, volunteers and athletes will prior to attending each session. Coaches will be documenting that the self-assessment was taken. Stay home if you do not pass the self-assessment.
- Attendance of coaches, volunteers and athletes will be taken at every session to allow for contact tracing.
- Skiers are to remain diligent with physical distancing.
- Wear a mask when 2 metres cannot be maintained.
- Jackrabbits can remove their masks when skiing.
- Only one parent will be allowed to assist an athlete getting their skis on at group meeting locations.
- One caregiver must accompany Bunnies during their lessons until the coaches approve of them staying independently.
- Skiers that become sick during Jackrabbits will immediately be removed from their group. The Safety Officer will contact parents and ask them to pick up their child promptly.
- Gerry’s Place will not be open at this time.